The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Rekia Boyd Trial Delayed Till Next Year

By Erica Demarest | December 3, 2014 12:43pm | Updated on December 3, 2014 2:38pm
 Rekia Boyd
Rekia Boyd
View Full Caption

COOK COUNTY CRIMINAL COURTHOUSE — The trial for a Chicago Police detective who was indicted on criminal charges after fatally shooting Rekia Boyd in 2012 has been pushed to next year.

On March 21, 2012, off-duty detective Dante Servin opened fire at a group of people near Douglas Park, striking one man in his hand and 22-year-old Rekia Boyd in her head. Boyd died a day later. Servin claimed a man in the group had pulled a gun, but police never recovered a weapon, and prosecutors said the man was holding a cellphone.

Servin appeared in court Wednesday, when Judge is Dennis J. Porter announced the case's next court date would be Jan. 21.

Servin's attorney, Darren O'Brien, said he hopes the judge will set a trial date at that time.

For Boyd's family, the trial can't come soon enough.

"This has been the longest two years of my life," older brother Martinez Sutton said Wednesday.

Sutton, who was joined in the courtroom by a dozen friends and relatives, sat several rows behind Servin. Sutton clasped his hands, leaned forward and stared at the back of Servin's head.

"You have to control your anger and feelings, hold it together," Sutton said. "You've got the killer of your sister sitting 15 feet away. Sometimes he leaves here with a smile on his face."

After court, Servin walked up to Sutton, shook his hand and asked for a hug. The pair briefly embraced. Sutton said Servin has extended several handshakes and hugs since fatally shooting Boyd in 2012.

"They want to see me break down, get emotional," Sutton said. "I think they want to see me express my anger, but what good will that do? ... I'm not going to give him the satisfaction."

Both Servin and his attorney declined to comment on the case.

Servin was charged with involuntary manslaughter, reckless discharge of a firearm and reckless conduct. He was ordered released on $75,000 bail last fall. Since then, Servin has continued to work for the Chicago Police Department on desk duty.

Sutton said a conviction would help his family heal, but he isn't optimistic it will happen.

"You hope the justice system works, but you've got to prepare to be disappointed," he said. "If you look at the history of police shootings, nobody ever gets punished. ... I feel like we're the defendants in this case. We've got prove that my sister is innocent."

For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: