ROGERS PARK — A "large-scale" project to replace century-old water mains under Bryn Mawr Avenue began this week, blocking westbound traffic.
The first of three phases of the project could take as long as three weeks, said Ald. Harry Osterman (48th).
Eventually, the mains between Kenmore and Glenwood avenues will be completely replaced.
Osterman also announced Wednesday an "Open for Business" event to encourage spending in the Bryn Mawr business district that might see a slump in sales during the project.
The event, planned from 5-9 p.m. June 26, will feature deals from area businesses, including:
• Francesca’s — half-price bottles of wine
• Lens Crafters — 40 percent off eyeglasses and prescription sunglasses
• That Little Mexican Café — free Mexican tapas with viewing of the World Cup
• Degenerate Art Gallery — 15 percent off all artwork
• Subway — free 6-inch sub with the purchase of 6-inch sub and any drink. (not combined with other offers/promotions; excluding premium or supreme subs)
• Bryn Mawr Jewelry Company — 20 percent off in-stock items excluding loose diamonds
• Ben’s Noodles and Rice — Free choice of appetizer — egg rolls, pot stickers or crab Rangoon — with meal order
• Accu-tronix — 10 percent discount on all phone accessories; 5 percent discount on all in-stock phones
• African Safari Imports — African masks and artifacts 20 percent off
• Lovely — buy an espresso, coffee or tea and get a free pastry
• A Better Tan — three pairs of faux designer sunglasses for $20
• Salon Echo — Happy Feet-Sea Salt Pedicure $36
• Little Vietnam — Dine-in free appetizer
• Edgewater Fitness Center — No enrollment fees
• Zanzibar — Free ice cream with every sandwich order
• Apart Pizza — 10-inch signature pizza plus a drink for $10 and 10-inch classic pizza plus a drink for $6.75
For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: