UPTOWN — The office of Ald. James Cappleman (46th) has launched a food and clothing drive for survivors of a fire that tore through an Uptown apartment building Tuesday morning.
Sparked by a faulty wire, flames engulfed the three-story building at 4721 N. Winthrop Ave. about 10 a.m. and were doused within the hour, authorities said.
There were no serious injuries. But Cappleman wrote in an email to constituents Wednesday night that the ravaged building was left charred and unlivable for 15 residents, including families with children, who "lost practically everything" but their lives to the blaze — and now need the neighborhood's generosity.
Cappleman's message urged people to help "as our neighbors work to rebuild after this tragic fire."
"Nonperishable food items such as cereal, noodles, canned goods, cookies are the primary need," Cappleman said in the email. "Additional items such as clothing, blankets, socks, towels, laundry detergent, fabric softener, and toiletries such as body wash, toothpaste and tooth brushes would also be appreciated."
The items can be dropped off at Cappleman's ward office in Uptown, 4544 N. Broadway, during office hours.
The fire displaced six women, six men and three kids, including a baby girl about 2 years old.
It wasn't clear as of Thursday what living arrangements were found by the survivors, who were unreachable for comment. But Cappleman said that he'd spoken to some of them who had family in the area.
"Please know that your generosity and your assistance are making a very real and positive impact," Cappleman told neighbors in the email, which included a list of clothing sizes for each displaced person.
For a list of clothing sizes for the survivors of Tuesday's fire, click here.
For more neighborhood news, listen to DNAinfo Radio here: