The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Police Chase on Eisenhower and Dan Ryan Ends with Officer Shooting Three

By  Casey Cora and Emily Morris | February 18, 2014 12:18pm | Updated on February 18, 2014 1:21pm

  Authorities blocked off two lanes of the southbound Dan Ryan Expy. near the exit ramp at 35th Street after three people were hurt following a police-involved shooting on the South Side Tuesday morning.
Police-Involved Shooting
View Full Caption

ARMOUR SQUARE — A police chase on the Eisenhower and Dan Ryan expressways late Tuesday morning ended near U.S. Cellular Field after a Chicago Police officer shot and wounded three men in a car they were chasing.

One of the men was pointing a semi-automatic 9 mm gun with an extended clip at the pursuing officers when police opened fire, Fraternal Order of Police spokesman Pat Camden said.

Camden called the weapon "unmistakable," and said there were no civilian cars between the police and the suspects.

"You point at the police, you're going to get shot," Camden said.

The incident began on the West Side when patrolling officers witnesses shots being fired, police said.

Camden said officers arrived at a gunfight about 11:15 a.m. at Ferdinand Street and Hamlin Avenue in Humboldt Park and a gunman began shooting at officers.

"All of a sudden the shootout is shooting at them," Camden said.

The gunman got into a waiting car, which the officers tried to curb, police said.

Instead of stopping, the driver made his way to the eastbound Eisenhower Expy. and then to the Dan Ryan, Camden said.

As the gunman's white car and the pursuing officers barreled toward a Dan Ryan exit ramp feeding onto Wentworth Avenue, a passenger in the back seat back of the gunman's car pointed his gun at the police, prompting an officer to open fire, Camden said.

On Wentworth Avenue, the car hit a snow bank, and the "offender in the back seat again raised his weapon" at least two more times as three people in the car tried to run away. The police again shot at the car, Camden said.

All three people in the white car were wounded. Camden said one of the men "could've been hit at the [West Side] scene," where a pool of blood remains at the intersection.

Two of the men were taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where one is expected to be released Tuesday. Another man was sent to Stroger Hospital in serious condition, Camden said.

All three were in serious-to-critical condition, Chicago Fire Department spokesman Will Knight said.

Jalissa Brown, who said she's the girlfriend of one of those injured in the shooting, said her boyfriend and two other men were in a white rental car when the police began chasing them from the West Side.

She couldn't say why the police chased them.

Authorities blocked off two lanes of the southbound Dan Ryan Expy. near the 35th Street exit ramp after the car was stopped.