The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Man Charged in 2012 Murder of 12-Year-Old Nazia Banks

By DNAinfo Staff | December 19, 2013 1:10pm
 Nazia Banks, 12, was gunned down while playing in front of his house in May of 2012.
Nazia Banks, 12, was gunned down while playing in front of his house in May of 2012.
View Full Caption
Family photo

COOK COUNTY CRIMINAL COURTHOUSE — One of the men allegedly responsible for the death of 12-year-old Nazia Banks has been charged in his murder — more than a year after the boy was gunned down while reportedly playing with other kids in front of his home.

Nazia was playing outside his home in the 8000 block of South Brandon Avenue on May 19, 2012, when he was shot in the head, according to the Tribune.

At the time, police said they believed the boy was the unintended target in a gang-related shooting, which prosecutors said was true Thursday.

Denzel Garbutt, 21, was picked up by police this week, and he told them that on that day in May, he was asked by two people he knew to watch for police while they "took care" of a man named "Lil Chris," Assistant State's Attorney Elizabeth Dibler said.

Garbutt allegedly told police he suspected at least one of the men was armed. He stood near 80th Street and South Shore Drive to look out for police, Dibler said.

A few minutes later, Garbutt told the men the coast was clear, Dibler said. He turned around and walked to his home just down the street. 

Garbutt was walking up his front steps when he heard the shots, Dibler said. 

An alleged accomplice later told Garbutt that "he felt bad a boy got shot but was not turning himself in," Dibler said.

Garbutt has been charged with first-degree murder for his role in the shooting.

Police executed a search warrant at Garbutt's home Tuesday and found suspected pot and liquid codeine, along with a .22-caliber revolver, according to a police report.

Prosecutors also charged Garbutt for having the drugs and the gun. 

Garbutt, a 2011 high school graduate currently enrolled at Kennedy King College, was ordered held on $1 million bond.