UPTOWN — Technicians from Peoples Gas were were in Uptown Wednesday going door-to-door to turn on pilot lights after damage to a gas main Tuesday left many people without gas on a frigid December day.
Peoples Gas spokeswoman Jennifer Block explained: "Our main was hit by another company," doing work on the block Tuesday afternoon.
People's Gas was forced to shut off gas service in the 900 block of Argyle Street, affecting about 400 customers who were deprived of heat, hot water and cooking fuel, depending on how natural gas is used in their home.
The "extreme cold," caused repairs to take longer than anticipated, Block said. But the main was finally fixed Wednesday morning.
Uptown Update reported that some residents had packed their bags and left for the night.
"Right now, we have heat in the building," said Julia Gabor, property manager of a building that was left without gas much of Tuesday and through the early hours of Wednesday.
She said technicians were in the process of going door-to-door to turn on pilots to heaters in each unit, and to make sure heat was working properly. There were a lot of complaints from customers through the night but Gabor said things were getting back to normal.