CHICAGO — Mayor Rahm Emanuel has set up a task force aimed at marketing any Dominick's stores left vacant after the grocery chain leaves Chicago at the end of the year.
Safeway Inc., the parent company of Dominick's, said it will close the Dominick's locations it cannot sell by the end of the year.
The task force will ask for community input as it seeks to market unsold locations to other companies, according to a statement from the mayor's office. The task force will include representatives from the City Council, labor, city departments and industry experts.
It will focus on three issues: the sites of the vacant Dominick's and economic impacts of their closings, ensuring access to fresh food and vegetables, and supporting workers affected by the closings.
"I am confident we will find operators for stores in every market where there are not sufficient alternatives,” Emanuel said in the statement. “It is essential that as we go through this transition we do all we can to ensure that these stores are returned to active use, so we can minimize impact on food access in our communities and ensure that these economic anchors continue to benefit our neighborhoods."
Since Emanuel has taken office, 18 new grocery stores have been built or are in construction, including 10 in food desert areas, the mayor's office said. The task force will ensure that progress made in food deserts in the city will not be affected by the closures, the mayor's office said.
The 15 Dominick's in the city are at:
• 2101 E. 71st St. in South Shore (status unknown)
• 3145 S. Ashland Ave. in McKinley Park (converting to Mariano's)
• 1340 S. Canal St. in the South Loop (converting to Jewel-Osco)
• 1 N. Halsted St. in Greektown
• 2021 W. Chicago Ave. in Ukrainian Village (converting to Mariano's)
• 255 E. Grand Ave. on the Near North Side
• 424 W. Division St. in Old Town
• 959 W. Fullerton Ave. in Lincoln Park
• 2550 N. Clybourn Ave. in Lincoln Park (converting to Jewel-Osco)
• 5233 N. Lincoln Ave. in Lincoln Square
• 5201 N. Sheridan Road in Edgewater (converting to Mariano's)
• 6009 N. Broadway in Edgewater
• 6623 N. Damen Ave. in Rogers Park
• 1763 W. Howard St. in Rogers Park
• 6312 N. Nagle Ave. in Norwood Park (status unknown)