SOUTH DEERING — One man was killed and six others were wounded in shootings across the South and West sides since Friday evening.
A 34-year-old man was fatally shot in the South Deering neighborhood early Saturday morning.
About 12:15 a.m., Jeffery Whiters was standing on the sidewalk in the 2400 block of East 100th Street when he was shot in his right thigh and left side, authorities said.
Whiters, of the 1200 block of West 74th Place, was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn where he was pronounced dead at 2:47 a.m., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office.
No one was in custody in connection with the shooting as of early Saturday morning.
In the most recent incident, a 33-year-old man was shot in the lower back around 6:10 p.m. Saturday in the 1000 block of West 93rd St., said Officer Jose Estrada, a police spokesman. The man was taken in stable condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn.
In other shootings:
• About 6 a.m., a 29-year-old man was shot in the 4700 block of South Michigan Avenue in the Bronzeville neighborhood. The man was shot in his leg and taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in serious condition, said Officer Jose Estrada, a police spokesman.
Details surrounding the shooting were not immediately available.
• A man in his 20s walked into Stroger Hospital with a gunshot wound to his left leg about 4:50 a.m. He told police he was shot near West Roosevelt Road and South Morgan Street, said Officer Hector Alfaro, a police spokesman.
No other details were immediately available.
• About 2:15 a.m., police were called to the 1200 block of West 72nd Place after a man was shot in West Englewood.
The 20-year-old man was driving westbound down West 72nd Place in a van when he struck a fire hydrant, Alfaro said. The man told police as he exited the van, he heard gunfire and realized he had been shot.
The 20-year-old was shot in his lower left abdomen and was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn where his condition stabilized. Police believe the shooting may have been gang related.
• Hours earlier, a 16-year-old was shot near West Division Street and North Central Avenue in Austin.
About 8:15 p.m., the teen was on the sidewalk near the intersection when he was shot several time in the leg, police said. The teen was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital where his condition stabilized.
• About 5:45 p.m. Friday, another teen was wounded in a shooting in the Austin neighborhood.
The 17-year-old boy was standing in the 4700 block of West Adams Street when he was approached by two gunmen who demanded money from the teen. They shot the 17-year-old in his left leg before fleeing the scene.
The teen was taken to Loretto Hospital where his condition stabilized, police said.