CHICAGO — Police issued a warning to South Siders after a series of stickups at bank ATMs since May.
The incidents occurred in bank lobbies in the following blocks:
• 8400 block of South Stony Island Avenue on May 6.
• 6900 block of South Ashland Avenue on Aug. 2.
• 800 block of West 87th Street on Aug. 23.
• 8600 block of South Cottage Grove Avenue on Aug. 26.
• 700 block of East 87th Street on Sept. 2.
In each incident, someone was getting money from an ATM in a lobby separate from a bank location when one to three robbers took the money by force or implied having a weapon, cops said.
Four out of five of the cases involved a single robber.
The robbers were described as black men, 17 to 50 years old, 5-foot-5 to 6-foot tall, weighing 150 to 170 pounds and having light to medium complexion.
Some of the robbers had braids or dreadlocks and, in one instance, one of the men wore a Los Angeles Clippers jersey.
In one of the cases, the robber implied having a handgun while in another instance, one used a knife.
Anyone with information is asked to call police at 312-747-8273.