CHICAGO — A 6-year-old boy shot while riding in a car with his mother was among at least 10 people wounded and one killed in gun violence Friday night and Saturday morning.
The two were driving in a car in the 4200 block of West Wilcox Avenue when shots were fired at about 11:30 p.m. The boy suffered a graze wound to the shoulder and taken to Mt. Sinai Hospital in good condition. Police were not sure of the condition of the boy, said Officer Amina Greer, a police spokeswoman.
One person was killed overnight: a 32-year-old man, who was shot fatally at 12:45 Saturday morning.
The man was standing in the rear of a location in the 3600 block of South Michigan Avenue with a group of people when another man approached and fired shots. The victim was hit in the armpit and taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in critical condition, Greer said. He was later pronounced dead at 1:25 a.m. Police have no one in custody in connection with the homicide, Greer said.
The Cook County Medical Examiner identified the man was Willie Clark of the 2100 block of East 97th Street.
In the most recent non-fatal shootings:
• A 27-year-old man was shot in his stomach in the 300 block of South Cicero Avenue around 3:30 a.m and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, police said. Police had no one in custody, said Officer Jose Estrada, a police spokesman.
• About 30 minutes earlier, an 18-year-old man was shot in his right shoulder. The shooting occured around 2:55 in the 3900 block of West Madison Street in the East Garfield Park neighborhood. The man was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in an unknown condition, Estrada said.
• At 2:50, two teenage women were shot after leaving a party in Englewood, police said. Both women - ages 18 and 19 - were shot in the arm in the 5600 block of South Ada Street. They were taken to St. Bernard Hospital in good condition, Estrada said.
• Around 2:20, a 21-year-old man was shot in his back in the 11800 block of South Michigan Avenue. He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn in an unknown condition, police said.
• Around 2, a 33-year-old man was shot in the back while in a back yard with relatives in the Archer Heights neighborhood. The man was in the 5100 block of South Kostner Avenue when a gunman approached through the alley and fired shots. The shooter then fled southbound through the alley. The man was taken to Advocate Christ Medica Center in stable condition, Estrada said.
• A 22-year-old man was shot in the leg around 1:52 in in the 200 block of South Central Avenue in East Garfield Park. He drove himself to Advocate Christ Medical Center in stable condition, police said. No one in custody, Estrada said.
• On Friday evening, two boys were shot in the 2200 block of North Melvina Avenue in the Belmont Central neighborhood around 7:20 p.m. A 16-year-old boy was shot in his leg and arm and a 15-year-old boy was grazed in his ankle. Police had no one in custody and had no information on the boys' conditions or where they were treated, Estrada said.