CHICAGO — Two people were killed and seven people were wounded, including a 6-year-old girl, in shootings since 8 a.m. Friday, authorities said.
About 7:41 p.m. Friday, a 6-year-old girl and a 52-year-old woman were shot in the 300 block of West 105th Street in Roseland, police said. The child was in serious-to-critical condition after being shot in her chest. The woman had non-life-threatening injuries to her leg. They were both taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center.
The two shooting victims were attending an outdoor memorial service for a man who had died five years ago when shots rang out.
In fatal shootings:
• A 20-year-old man was walking on the sidewalk when he was shot in his abdomen by someone in a light-colored sedan about 9:30 p.m. Friday near the intersection of Hirsch Street and Springfield Avenue in Humboldt Park.
The man, identified as Carlos Barron, was pronounced dead at 11:10 p.m., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office. His home address is unknown.
• In Chatham, a 27-year-old man was standing on a block when two people started firing at a group that was nearby but that the man was not a part of, Estrada said. The shooting occurred about 7:27 p.m. in the 8100 block of South Vincennes Avenue, fire officials said.
The man, identified as Morrice Gibson, was taken in serious-to-critical condition at Advocate Christ Medical Center with bullets to his head and stomach. He was later pronounced there at 8:27 p.m., medical examiners said.
Gibson had no known gang affiliations and was likely not the intended target in the shooting.
In other nonfatal shootings between Friday's and Saturday's sunrises:
• About 1 a.m. Saturday, a 27-year-old man was walking north in the 5900 block of South Sangamon Street in Englewood when shots were fired from a black BMW driving in the same direction, said Officer Jose Estrada, a police spokesman. After being shot twice in his stomach and once in his leg, the man was taken to Stroger Hospital in serious condition. No one is in custody.
• A 24-year-old man was on a front porch in the 7800 block of South Ellis Avenue in Greater Grand Crossing when a shooter from a white sedan left bullets in both of his legs about 10:55 p.m. Friday, Estrada said. The victim was taken to Christ and no one is in custody.
• In Brainerd, an 18-year-old man was shot multiple times in his torso while on a sidewalk in the 9400 block of South Racine Avenue about 9:15 p.m., Estrada said. He was approached on foot by an unknown shooter and later taken to Christ.
• A 23-year-old man was shot about 8:11 p.m. in the 10100 block of South Union Avenue in Roseland, officials said. The man was taken in serious-to-critical condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center.
• A man was shot three times in his leg in North Lawndale, police said. The shooting occurred about 8:50 a.m. in the 1400 block of South Springfield Avenue. The 20-year-old victim was taken to Stroger Hospital in serious condition. No one is in custody.
On Thursday, 19-year-old Alexander Mayo was shot dead just two blocks away.