The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Man Who Allegedly Threw Hot Coffee in CTA Driver's Face Charged

By Emily Morris | June 23, 2013 6:28pm | Updated on June 24, 2013 11:21am
 Quintin Jackson, 32, of the 1500 block of South Millard Avenue.
Quintin Jackson, 32, of the 1500 block of South Millard Avenue.
View Full Caption
Chicago Police Department

COOK COUNTY COURTHOUSE — A CTA bus driver is likely to be scarred for life after a North Lawndale man allegedly threw scalding hot coffee in his face for not picking him up, prosecutors said Sunday.

Quintin Jackson, 32, of the 1500 block of South Millar Street, was charged with aggravated battery causing great bodily harm and aggravated battery of a transit employee.

During his arrest, Jackson screamed at the injured driver, "Yeah it's me b----! I got you b----!" according to police documents.

The violent episode happened about 10 p.m. Friday after Jackson got on CTA bus 85A-North Central at the Jefferson Park Blue Line terminal, 4917 N. Milwaukee Ave., CTA spokeswoman Lambrini Lukidis said.

Jackson began yelling at the bus driver and accusing him of not picking him where he had been standing earlier, Lukidis said.

The driver told Jackson he wasn't waiting at a bus stop, and thus the driver did not see him, Assistant State's Attorney Bridget O'Brien said.

Jackson then became "irate" and threw a cup of coffee in the driver's face, including his left eye, O'Brien said. Jackson then jumped on the driver and began punching him, according to O'Brien. The incident was captured on CTA surveillance video, and the bus had been parked, O'Brien said.

The driver managed to get away from Jackson and run off the bus, but Jackson followed, O'Brien said. As he fled, the victim called 911 and watched with his right eye, the only one he could still see with, as Jackson ran into an alley and hid behind garbage cans, O'Brien said.

The driver went back to his bus and told police where he saw Jackson go, O'Brien said. Cops arrested Jackson in an alley not far from the bus terminal, according to police documents.

The driver was eventually taken to Loyola University Medical Center, where he was treated for severe burns to his face, neck and arms, said O'Brien, who added that the coffee was so hot it burned through the man's CTA uniform. The victim is likely to have permanent scarring on his face, scalp and arm, O'Brien said.

After being arrested, Jackson admitted to authorities that he tried to flag down the bus and fell and hurt himself as he was running, which made him angry, O'Brien said. He also admitted to confronting the driver, throwing the coffee in his face and screaming at him, according to O'Brien.

Judge Adam Bourgeois Jr. ordered Jackson, of the 1500 block of South Millard Avenue, held in lieu of $250,000 bail on Sunday.