The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

One Dead, At Least 16 Wounded in Weekend Gun Violence

By  Kyla Gardner Josh McGhee Alex Parker  and Erin Meyer | June 14, 2013 5:23pm | Updated on June 15, 2013 5:36pm

 Four people were shot in Chicago Lawn on Saturday, June 15, 2013.
Chicago Lawn shootings
View Full Caption

CHICAGO — One man is dead and at least 16 other people wounded in weekend gun violence, police said.

The homicide victim was identified as McGregory Porter, 24, of the 5900 block of South Iowa Street, the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office said. Police said Porter was walking with another man in the 5500 block of West Quincy Street when a group of men approached and opened fire.

Porter was shot in the eye, and was pronounced dead at 11 p.m., said Officer Michael Sullivan, a police spokesman. The man with whom he was walking was taken to Mt. Sinai Hospital, the Tribune reported.

On Saturday afternoon around 2:15 p.m., three people were shot in the 7200 block of South Artesian Avenue, fire officials said. Two people were taken in serious-to-critical condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn. Another was taken in stable condition to Holy Cross Hospital. Police gave a differing account, saying a 15-year-old boy shot in the arm, and a 19-year-old man shot in the leg were taken to Holy Cross, while a 23-year-man was shot in the back and taken to Christ.

Another person was shot in the same incident in the 7200 block of South Maplewood Avenue, where a 23-year-old man was shot in the neck, police said. Detectives were seen escorting a man in handcuffs and removing weapons from a nearby residence, but police could not confirm anyone was in custody.

At 4:23 a.m., a 39-year-old man was shot in the arm near the intersection of 21st and Wood streets, Sullivan said. He was taken to Mt. Sinai Hospital.

About an hour earlier, a 28-year-old man walked into Stroger Hospital with a graze wound to his face.

At about 12:45 a.m., two people were shot in South Austin, near the intersection of North LeClaire Avenue and West Madison Street, police said. A 22-year old man was shot in the back and buttocks, and taken to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood, said Officer John Mirabelli, a police spokesman.

A 19-year-old woman was also shot. She was taken to West Suburban Hospital with a wound to her thigh, Mirabellia said.

At 12:30 a.m., in the 1500 block of South St. Louis Avenue, a man, whose age was unknown, was shot in the back. Sullivan said the man was approached by a group of males, and one fired shots. No one is in custody, and Area Central detectives are investigating.

About two hours earlier on Friday evening, in the 2800 block of South Kedvale Avenue, a 23-year-old man was shot in the buttocks. Sullivan said the man was sitting down, drinking, when a green Honda Accord pulled up. Shots were fired from the vehicle, stroking the man, who was taken in good condition to Mt. Sinai Hospital.

At 9:50 p.m., two people were wounded in a shooting in the 300 block of 106th Place, Sullivan said. One man was shot in the shoulder, and walked to Roseland Hosptial. He was taken to Mt. Sinai Hospital in stable condition. A second shooting victim suffered a graze wound to his arm, and was treated at the scene.

Earlier on Friday, at about 6:50 p.m., a 22-year-old man was shot in the toe in the 6400 block of South Oakley Avenue, and was taken to Holy Cross Hospital in good condition.

Earlier, a man and woman, both 19, were each shot several times about 3:45 p.m. in the 3800 block of South Stewart Avenue, fire and police officials said.

The woman was hit twice in the leg, and the man was hit several times in the buttocks in the possible drive-by shooting, police said, citing preliminary information. Fire officials said the victims were each shot once.

The teenagers were picked up by ambulance several blocks from where they were reportedly shot, near South Lafayette Avenue and West 95th Street, said Larry Langford, fire department spokesman.

The victims were taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in stable condition, and were alert and talking, Langford said.