CHICAGO — Two people have been killed, and at least 11 wounded, in shootings across the city since Tuesday night, police said.
About 12:35 a.m. Wednesday, a 22-year-old man was fatally shot while driving in the 6300 block of South May Street in Englewood, said Officer Jose Estrada, a Chicago Police Department spokesman. The victim and a 25-year-old man were heading southbound when a gunman opened fire.
The 22-year-old, who was later identified as Jarell Dotson, of the 6700 block of South Aberdeen Street, was struck in his head, chest and arm. He was pronounced dead at Stroger Hospital at 1:29 a.m., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office. The 25-year-old was treated at Stroger for a gunshot wound in his left shoulder.
A 19-year-old man was shot to death about 10:22 p.m. Tuesday in West Englewood, Estrada said. The man had been sitting in a car in the 7700 block of South Damen Avenue when an unknown number of gunmen began shooting. The man, whose was later identified as Jaelin Lusk Slaughter, of the 1700 block of East 71st Street, was hit in his neck and face. He was pronounced dead at 11:15 p.m. at Advocate Christ Medical Center, according to the morgue.
No one was in custody for either shooting early Wednesday, Estrada said.
In other shootings:
• Shortly before midnight Tuesday, a 24-year-old man was shot by police in the 1600 block of East 83rd Street in Avalon Park, said Officer John Mirabelli, a Police Department spokesman.
While on patrol, officers heard shots fired near the 8300 block of South Stony Island, according to a police statement. Citizens told police their car had been fired upon by people in another vehicle, Mirabelli said
The officers found a car matching the one described and were attempting to pull it over when the alleged shooters hopped out and fled, Mirabelli said. During a foot chase, a 24-year-old man pulled a gun and pointed it at officers, Mirabelli said. The officers shot the man, who has known gang affiliations, Mirabelli said. He and another man are in custody. No officers were injured during the incident.
• In Auburn Gresham, a 20-year-old man was shot in the leg about 2:30 a.m. Wednesday in the 8600 block of South Ashland Avenue, Estrada said. The man, whom police listed in good condition, refused medical attention.
• About 2:10 a.m. Wednesday, a 27-year-old woman was shot in the leg in West Garfield Park, Estrada said. She was standing in the 3900 block of West Arthington Street when she heard several shots and felt pain. The woman was treated at Mount Sinai Hospital and released.
• A 35-year-old man was shot in Woodlawn about 1:30 a.m. Wednesday, Estrada said. The man was in a home in the 6600 block of South Evans Avenue when someone knocked on the door. As the victim answered it, an unknown gunman began shooting, striking the man in his left arm. He was taken in stable condition to the University of Chicago Medical Center.
• Just after 10 p.m. Tuesday, a 25-year-old man was shot in his lower abdomen in Washington Heights, Estrada said. The man had been sitting in a front yard in the 9600 block of South Carpenter Street when two men got out of a car and began shooting, police said. The man was listed in stable condition Wednesday.
• Two people were shot in Logan Square about 8:10 p.m. Tuesday, Estrada said. A 55-year-old man and 32-year-old woman were in a backyard in the 2100 block of North Campbell Avenue when a gunman approached from an alley and fired multiple shots.
The man was struck in his ankle and taken to St. Mary of Nazareth Hospital. The woman was treated at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center for a gunshot wound in her left thigh. Both were in good condition Wednesday.
• A 19-year-old man was shot in his arm about 5:55 p.m. in South Chicago, Estrada said. The teen, who police said has gang affiliations, was standing in the 9000 block of South Exchange Avenue when the shooting occurred. He was treated at Advocate Trinity Hospital.
• In South Shore, two men were injured in a drive-by shooting about 5 p.m. Tuesday, Estrada said. They had been standing in the 7800 block of South Marquette Avenue when passengers in a dark-colored vehicle pulled out handguns.
A 19-year-old man was struck in his lower back and taken in critical condition to Northwestern Memorial Hospital. A 27-year-old man was hit in the lower back and face. He was listed in serious condition at Northwestern.