The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Man Suffered for Three Years While Alleged Shooter Walked Free, Wife Says

 Alfred Wilson died Tuesday from a gunshot he suffered three years ago.
Man Suffered for Three Years While Shooter Walked Free
View Full Caption

ENGLEWOOD — Pamela Wilson said she sees the man who she believes killed her husband on a fairly regular basis.

The man owns a home in her neighborhood, which is where Alfred "Stuffy" Wilson was shot in the back of his head three years ago on the 7100 block of South May Street.

Wilson, 59, died of cardiac arrest at 12:30 a.m. Tuesday morning at St. Bernard Hospital, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office.

But his death can be directly traced to injuries he suffered the day he was shot — June 5, 2010, his wife said from the porch of the couple's home hours after her husband died.

Pamela Wilson, 57, said she spoke with police after he died, and detectives asked her about the man she suspects in the shooting, she said. But police later would not confirm whether the man was a suspect in the case, and said there had been no arrests.

Wilson recalled how she met her husband more than 35 years ago. She was 15 and he was 17.

"I'd be going to school and he'd be going to wrestling practice — I used to see him on the bus, all muscled and cute," she said.

Wilson said her husband was athletic, strong and played several sports in his youth. She jokingly described him as a "rent-a-husband," because the strapping handyman would fix broken appliances for single mothers around the neighborhood.

They met on the same street where he died — the same street where both of them and their parents had lived as kids.

He kissed her on the first day they met, Wilson recalled.

Up until a year or so before he was shot, the couple would host an annual block party in front of their house, because, Wilson said, her husband loved kids.

But that all ended when a drunken argument and a single gunshot eventually resulted in her husband's death three years later.

During those years, Wilson and the couple's two children took care of her ailing husband, who could no longer walk and suffered severe brain damage.

"I never saw him get depressed the whole time — he couldn't remember things so he never got sad," Wilson said.

She claims the man who shot him initially apologized to her, but later "sobered up, lawyered up" and was never charged.

"It was hard, but I forgave him," she said.

But now that her husband has died, she hopes justice is served.