BRIDGEPORT — Are Chicago’s most famous sausage slingers relocating their headquarters to the neighborhood?
Vienna Beef co-president Jack Bodman told Crain’s Chicago Business the 120-year-old company has signed a contract to buy a factory building at 1000 W. Pershing Road, just north of the entrance to the city’s famed stockyards.
The company, headquartered at 2501 N. Damen Ave. in Bucktown since the 1970s, has been in talks to relocate since plans were announced to reconfigure the oft-snarled, six-way intersection at Damen, Elston and Fullerton avenues, Crain’s reported.
The city’s makeover plans would realign the diagonal Elston Avenue to bend around Fullerton and reconnect as a diagonal just north of Webster Avenue, with the reconfigured Elston Avenue cutting right in front of Vienna’s front door.
A map of the project is available at Ald. Scott Waguespack's (32nd) website.
The company is reportedly seeking a subsidy in the form of tax increment financing before moving to the South Side. According to Crain’s, the city’s Community Development Commission, which reviews TIF requests, is scheduled to consider Vienna's move at its meeting on Tuesday.
A Vienna company spokesman and did not immediately return a call seeking comment.
The 157,000-square-foot building is owned by Michael J. Taylor, records show. It already contains two businesses, a food distribution service called T & T Food Service and C Meats, a busy lunchtime hot dog stand and deli already selling prepackaged Vienna products like hot dogs, bagel dogs, salami, mustard and Polish sausage.
Representatives from both companies declined comment.