The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

After Four Wounded in Englewood Shooting, 'I'm Hoping it Doesn't Get Worse'

By Darryl Holliday | April 22, 2013 4:54pm | Updated on April 22, 2013 5:26pm
 A man is transported from a home in Englewood after Monday afternoon's shooting.
A man is transported from a home in Englewood after Monday afternoon's shooting.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Darryl Holliday

ENGLEWOOD — Four men were wounded in a Monday afternoon shooting, police said.

Though none of the victims seemed to have been seriously injured in the shooting in the 5700 block of South Lowe Avenue about 4:20 p.m., police expressed worry about violence to come.

"Seems like no one was hurt too badly, but that's not what I'm worried about," said Englewood Deputy Chief Leo Schmitz. "I'm hoping it doesn't get worse."

The four men — who range from 19 to 34 years — were shot in their legs, though one might have had an arm wound as well, police said.

"We were just sitting in the car and that's when we heard the shots, like POW POW POW — about eight or nine shots," said Brenda Ford.

At least two victims were taken from a house in wheelchairs to ambulances, according to one reporter. Witnesses said eight to 10 people emerged from a gangway and opened fire.

Ford said her 32-year-old son Vincent Ford was one of the people shot.

Brennan Ford, Vincent Ford's brother, called the area a "family block." The family had driven to the neighborhood and dropped off Vincent to visit other family members, Brennan Ford said.

"We thought it was firecrackers until everyone started ducking," said Brennan Ford, who said his brother is not part of a gang.

The family pulled away after dropping off Vincent Ford and hadn't turned at the end of the block when they heard shots and returned to the scene.

Ford and another shooting victim were transported to Stroger in serious-to-critical condition, said Meg Ahlheim, a Chicago Fire Department spokeswoman.

The other two victims were sent to Mount Sinai Hospital, Ahlheim said. One was in serious-to-critical condition and the other was fair-to-serious, she said.

Police had no more information.