EDGEWATER — Loyola University warned students Tuesday that an "unknown person" had used a cigarette lighter to burn the ceilings of stairwells in a campus dorm, police said.
Robert Fine, the university's director of campus safety, said in a statement that there was "minimal damage" to the building, but "such an act cannot be ignored."
Fine cited "several recent incidents" at Simpson Living-Learning Center, a dorm at 6333 N. Winthrop Ave. that's able to house 409 students.
He asked those with information about the burning incidents to come forward and call campus safety at 773-508-6039.
"Any action that threatens the safety of anyone in the Loyola community will be addressed promptly and justly," Fine said.
Fine could not be reached for comment Tuesday evening.