ASHBURN — Five firefighters and a civilian were injured during a fire involving chemicals in a bathtub Monday, the fire department said.
Firefighters responded to the blaze in the 8100 block of South Campbell Avenue shortly after 11:15 a.m., according to the Chicago Fire Department's media office.
It first appeared to be a furnace fire, and personnel opened windows of the house to ventilate, the fire department said.
Sometime during the response, five firefighters suffered "respiratory distress," and one of them hurt his hip, the department said. A civilian also suffered an injury related to inhalation, authorities said.
The fire department said "chemicals in a bathtub" caused the respiratory issues. It was unclear what sparked the fire, or whether the civilian was injured before the response.
All were taken to local hospitals in stable condition, the fire department said.