CHICAGO — At least eight people were injured and one dead in shootings across the city from Monday night into Tuesday morning, police said.
A 24-year-old man died after being shot in West Garfield Park about 6:10 a.m. Tuesday morning, authorities said. Officers were called to the 4000 block of West Wilcox Street, where they found a man lying in the street with multiple gunshot wounds. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital and pronounced dead, authorities said.
• A 29-year-old man was shot on a sidewalk in the 4600 block of South California Avenue in Brighton Park about 4:20 a.m. Tuesday, said Officer Jose Estrada, a police spokesman. Police said he took a shot to the back and another to his arm.
The man then drove himself to the 3100 block of South California Avenue, where paramedics found him and took the victim to Mount Sinai Hospital in critical condition, Estrada said.
• A couple of hours earlier, in the Back of the Yards neighborhood, another 24-year-old man was wounded after he was shot in the leg, said Officer Robert Perez, a police spokesman.
Officers were called to the scene in the 900 block of West 53rd Street about 2:30 a.m., Perez said, and the man was taken to John H. Stroger Hospital in "stable" condition.
• A 17-year-old boy was in critical condition after he was shot multiple times in the 3000 block of South Tripp Avenue in Little Village just before 10 p.m. Monday, police said. Several males got out of an SUV and fired at the teen on a sidewalk, Perez said.
Three men are being questioned, Perez said. No charges had been filed as of Tuesday morning.
The shooting might have been gang related, as the three suspects along with victim are thought to have gang affiliation, police said.
• About an hour earlier, three people were injured in a Chicago Lawn shooting, police said.
They were sitting in a car when two men fired on them in the 6200 block of South Rockwell Street about 8:30 p.m. before taking off in a white minivan, Perez said.
One drove himself and the other two victims to Holy Cross Hospital, Perez said.
A 19-year-old woman was hit in the chest and transferred to Mount Sinai Hospital in serious condition, Perez said. A 23-year-old man who suffered wounds to his chest and buttocks was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn in serious condition, Perez said. A 22-year-old man shot in the leg was treated at Holy Cross Hospital, where he was listed in good condition, Perez said.
• About 7:45 p.m., a 32-year-old man was hurt in a separate Chicago Lawn shooting, police said.
Officers were called to the 7100 block of South Campbell Avenue near Marquette Park and found the man shot in the leg, Perez said. He was taken to Advocate Christ Hospital in Oak Lawn in good condition. No one was in custody.
• About an hour earlier, a 31-year-old man was shot in the arm in the 300 block of East 61st Street in Washington Park, Perez said. He was taken to Jackson Park Hospital in "stable" condition, police said.