The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Off-Duty Cop Helps Stop Thanksgiving Robbery

By Casey Cora | November 27, 2012 3:48pm | Updated on November 27, 2012 7:53pm
 Chicago Police Squad Car
Chicago Police Squad Car
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Paul Biasco

ARMOUR SQUARE — An off-duty Chicago police officer was credited with busting two teens and a 12-year-old who robbed a woman on Thanksgiving, police said.

The cop, who police did not name, darted out of a holiday gathering after the panicked robbery victim sought refuge, then tracked the trio down and held them until other cops arrived.

The incident unfolded about 9:15 p.m. when the alleged thieves — two 15-year-olds and a 12-year-old — approached the 20-year-old woman from behind as she walked in the 3000 block of South Princeton Avenue.

One of the attackers placed his hand on her mouth while the others swiped her purse and cell phone, police said.

The victim, 20, ran to a nearby home to call police. That's where she was met by four people including the off-duty police officer.

Greg Arradia, 45, a brother-in-law of the unnamed cop and one of the three who helped chase the attackers, said that the victim knocked on the door and said she had been mugged.

That's when Arradia and his two brothers-in-law sprang into action and went looking for, then found, the attackers about a block away.

"They were all crying and saying it wasn't them," he said.

One of the party's hosts drove the victim to the scene, where she identified her attackers, he said.

The youngsters, all from Chicago, were charged as juveniles with felony robbery, police said. The victim's purse and phone were returned.

Chicago Police spokesman Robert Perez said it’s “too early to tell” whether the holiday robbery was connected to recent Bridgeport street robberies.

Those attacks took place include incidents in the 3600 block of Lowe Avenue, the 600 block of West 33rd Street, the 2800 block of South Normal and the 3100 block of South Union Avenue, police said.

No injuries were reported. Anyone with information is asked to call (312) 747-8380.