MANHATTAN — NYPD Commissioner James O'Neill wants to soon release footage of a deadly police shooting of a man armed with a knife and fake gun, he said Tuesday night, according to reports.
“We’re looking to release that video. [...] I don’t have an exact date yet, but it should be soon," O'Neill said at the New York Press Club, according to The New York Times.
"We're looking to release it as quickly as possible, hopefully this week and move forward," he added, according to the New York Post.
The commissioner had been talking with the Bronx District Attorney about releasing the footage after officers fatally shot Miguel Richards, 31, in an hours-long standoff at his Eastchester apartment.
Two officers opened fire when Richards raised a fake handgun at them and refused to drop it or answer when they asked if it was a real weapon, police said.
The deadly encounter was reportedly the first recorded by NYPD body cams, which the department introduced in April.
Bronx District Attorney Darcel Clark is wary of releasing the video.
"I still have an obligation to protect the integrity of the investigation into this shooting. Releasing videos to the public during the early stages of an investigation may resolve some questions about the incident, but it may compromise the integrity of the investigation," she said.
"The footage should be released after the investigation is completed, Clark added.
NYPD spokesman didn't have further details about the footage's release.