DNAinfo took a look back at some of the noteworthy openings, closings and food news from the neighborhood in 2016.
Bagels and Bakeries
• Zucker's Bagels & Smoked Fish is set to open at 273 Columbus Ave., at West 74th Street, on Monday.
• Kirsh Kitchen and Bakery, a German and French-influenced spot, opened at 551 Amsterdam Ave., at West 87th Street, in April.
• Orwasher's Bakery opened its second Manhattan outpost at 440 Amsterdam Ave., at West 81st Street, in September.
• Bread's Bakery opened at 1890 Broadway, near West 63rd Street, in February with a large roster of baked goods, including an homage to a longtime Upper West Side bakery.
• Caledonia, a new bar serving high-end whisky, opened at 424 Amsterdam Ave. between West 80th and 81st streets in November.
• Bodega 88, at 573 Columbus Ave. at West 88th Street., opened in August as a sports bar serving Latin food and cocktails.
• April Bloomfield teamed up with butchers Erika Nakamura and Jocelyn Guest to open White Gold Butchers, a restaurant/butcher shop at 375 Amsterdam Ave. at West 78th Street, this November. The shop's specialty is a chopped cheese sandwich, which has been so popular at lunchtime that it's now offered in the last hour of dinner service as well.
• Flame, a Hibachi restaurant from the owners of the now-shuttered Fusha West, opened at 100 West 82nd St. in May.
Pizza and Italian
• Pizzeria Sirenetta, a new Neopolitan spot from the owners of The Mermaid Inn, opened in February at 568 Amsterdam Ave. between 88th and 89th streets.
• Trader Joe's announced in late May it had signed a lease for a space at 670 Columbus Ave., at West 93rd Street, which is expected to open in the first half of 2017.
Other Notable Spots
• Mokja, a Korean restaurant with a Bimbimbap burger and traditional curries and barbecue, opened in January at 852 Amsterdam Ave. between West 101st and 102nd streets.
A Few to Watch in 2017:
• Maison Pickle will open in mid-January at 2315 Broadway at West 84th Street, the restaurant said. The new spot from the Jacob's Pickles' team, opening in the former Ouest space, will specialize in French Dip and — of course — pickles.
• Sugar Factory, an eatery boasting over-the-top desserts, is renovating its 1991 Broadway space.
• Babeth's Feast, a spot specializing in pre-made food, is gearing up to open at 309 Amsterdam Ave. between West 74th and 75th streets early in the new year.