ROCKAWAY PARK — The public has a chance to weigh in on plans for nearly $1 billion in federal Hurricane Sandy relief dollars at public hearings beginning this week.
The city received the third round of its $4.21 billion grant from the federal government in October and will submit its plan by Jan. 19, officials said.
Residents can suggest changes or make other comments to the proposal at hearings in all five boroughs starting Jan. 6. All meetings begin at 7 p.m.
► Jan. 6 at SIUH North Campus, Regina McGinn Education and Conference Center, 475 Seaview Ave., Staten Island
► Jan. 7, Beach Channel High School, 100-01 Beach Channel Drive, Queens
► Jan. 8, Coney Island Hospital Auditorium, 2601 Ocean Parkway, Brooklyn
► Jan. 13, Hunts Points Recreation Center Gymnasium, 765 Manida St., Bronx
► Jan. 15, Educational Alliance, Manny Cantor Center 6th Floor, 197 East Broadway, Manhattan
The new money will be used to cover rent for homeowners while their houses are undergoing construction, expand the program's workforce development initiatives and offer grants to help owners make repairs on their own.
In addition, they have outlined changes for plans for money already received, like shifting millions to the Build It Back program from other business programs.
The city will also move funds that had been set aside for a development initiative called the Game Changer to fund "targeted, innovative projects" that could help the businesses in the long-term, officials said.
Residents can also submit comments by calling 311 or by writing to Calvin Johnson, Assistant Director, CDBG-DR, NYC Office of Management and Budget, 255 Greenwich St., 8th Floor, New York, NY 10007.