Bowery Hotel Evacuated After Fire in Star-Studded Restaurant

By Mathew Katz and Andrea Swalec  on September 3, 2013 11:39am  | Updated on September 3, 2013 1:29pm

 A blaze broke out at the Bowery Hotel on Tuesday morning, officials said.
A blaze broke out at the Bowery Hotel on Tuesday morning, officials said.
View Full Caption
Twitter/@JwalkinNYC

LOWER EAST SIDE — A quick spreading kitchen fire at the Bowery Hotel's celebrity-magnet restaurant forced guests to evacuate Tuesday, fire officials said.

The blaze at Gemma restaurant, which has fed celebrities such as James Bond actor Daniel Craig, began about 11 a.m. and spread up an exhaust duct, according to the FDNY.

Firefighters arrived on the scene at 335 Bowery, officials said. It was brought under control at 11:49 a.m., officials said.

No one was injured in the blaze, according to officials. A hotel representative said guests were allowed back in a short time later.

Glee star Diana Agron, seen clutching a handbag outside the hotel, was chased by the paparazzi back into the lobby just after noon.

The boutique hotel has 135 rooms and is a popular spot for celebrities and late-night parties.

An electrical room in the hotel caught fire last month, but the fire was quickly extinguished.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement