Accused Brooklyn Serial Killer Indicted on Murder Charges
By Joe Parziale on November 27, 2012 7:40pm
BROOKLYN — The Staten Island man accused of shooting and killing three Brooklyn shopkeepers was indicted Tuesday on six counts of murder, prosecutors said.
Salvatore Perrone, 64, was charged with using the same weapon to gun down three Brooklyn merchants in a span of four months, law enforcement officials said.
The alleged killing spree began when Mohammed Gabeli, 65, was found dead in his Bay Ridge boutique in July. Cops said Perrone then used the same .22-caliber sawed off rifle to gun down Isaac Kadare, 59 in a Bensonhurst discount shop on Aug. 2 and Vahidipour Rahmatollah, 78, in his Flatbush clothing store on Nov. 16.
Perrone was charged with first-degree murder in all three incidents, because the murders happened in similar fashion within a two-year period, Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes said Tuesday. Perrone was also charged with second-degree murder for each incident.
Police began questioning Perrone on Nov. 20, and he was arrested the following day after confessing to all three murders, police said. Cops also said they found the murder weapon, a duffel bag and several knives in Perrone's girlfriend’s Brooklyn home.
The garment salesman had been staking out a fourth store on Flatbush Avenue before he was arested, sources said, but he was interrupted by customers. Police had already been on Perrone’s trail, and the owner of that store informed police after seeing an NYPD “person of interest” photograph of Perrone holding a duffel bag.
Perrone was ordered held without bail. He faces a maximum of six consecutive life sentences if convicted.