ROCKAWAY BEACH — More than a dozen people, including seven firefighters, were hospitalized after a two-alarm fire broke out early Monday inside an apartment, officials said.
Firefighters responded to the blaze on the first and second floors of the home at 174 Beach 91st St. at around 2:20 a.m., according to the FDNY.
One man jumped from the apartment to escape the inferno, and firefighters rescued a pregnant woman, babies and children, according to the New York Post.
It was under control just after 3 a.m.
Seven firefighters and three police officers were hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries, along with six residents inside the apartment, officials said.
The FDNY said Monday evening the fire was caused by an unattended candle that was burning inside the apartment.