The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Trio Mugs Man for iPhone on Gramercy Corner, Police Say

 Three men robbed a man of his cellphone and cash as he was walking at 23rd Street and Third Avenue.
Three men robbed a man of his cellphone and cash as he was walking at 23rd Street and Third Avenue.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Heather Holland

GRAMERCY — A trio of muggers robbed a man of his iPhone and cash as he was walking in Gramercy last week, the NYPD said.

The 23-year-old man was walking at 28th Street and Third Avenue when three men approached him from behind at about 11:30 p.m. on Feb. 25, police said.

One of the men then pressed an object to his back, and said “shut the f--- up unless you want to hear this go off,” police said.

The men patted the victim down, snatched his iPhone and $82 in cash and fled east on 28th Street, police said.

Police tracked the victim's phone to Mother Gaston Boulevard and Sumpter Street in Bed-Stuy using the Find My iPhone app, but the phone was not recovered and no arrests had been made as of Tuesday.

Two of the muggers were described as men in their 20s and 30s, police said.

Other recent crimes in the 13th Precinct include:

► A man was found with 10 forged credit cards after police arrested him for using one of the credit cards to purchase a $500 gift card from Duane Reade.

Michael Myrie, 20, walked into the Duane Reade at 300 E. 23rd St. near Second Avenue and tried to purchase the gift card at 9:20 p.m. on Feb. 24, police said.

After the first credit card Myrie used was declined and he had to use a second one, the store employee compared the credit card number on the card with the one on the receipt and realized they were different, police said.

When Myrie could not prove that he owned the credit card, the employee held onto Myrie's passport and called 911.

Myrie left the scene before police arrived, but then returned after the store had closed and forced his way in just as an employee was locking the doors, police said.

Once inside, Myrie banged on the manager's office door, demanding that the manager return his passport. Myrie then left the store, and told the employee he would be waiting outside.

The employee called the police, and Myrie was arrested outside of the store.

Police found that he was carrying 10 forged credit cards, which had poor graphics and a rubbery feel, according to the Manhattan District Attorney's criminal complaint.

Myrie was also found with three gift cards that were bought using the forged credit cards, police said.

Myrie was charged with identity theft, criminal possession of a forged instrument, criminal trespass and criminal possession of stolen property, according to the Manhattan DA's office.

His attorney did not immediately return a request for comment.

► A woman from East Syracuse, N.Y. had her wallet stolen from her purse at the bar inside the W Hotel at 201 Park Ave. South near Union Square, police said.

The woman left her purse unattended while socializing at the bar on Feb. 26, and when she returned to get her room key, she noticed the wallet was missing at about 1:30 a.m., police said.

The wallet contained credit cards and cash. Purchases of $18.50 and $27 were made on two credit cards after they went missing, police said.

No arrests were immediately made. Representatives of W Hotel did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

► Glass and marble tiles worth $4,340 were stolen from a construction company at 142 W. 26th St. near Seventh Avenue.

An employee of Robert Taffera Construction discovered that the tiles, which were left in a sanitation bin, were removed from the main floor of the building at about 4 p.m. on Feb. 24, police said.

Police did not immediately arrest anyone in relation to the theft.

► A 14-year-old boy tried to snatch a cellphone out of a woman’s hand at First Avenue and East 20th Street last week, police said.

The teen tried to snatch the phone out of the 40-year-old Peter Cooper Village resident's hand at about 3:30 p.m. on Feb. 28, police said.

The woman flagged down three NYPD recruits, who arrested the teen.

The teen, whose name was withheld because of his age, was charged with attempted grand larceny, a felony, police said.