The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Police Investigating Deaths of Two Queens Children

By  Murray Weiss Gustavo Solis Aidan Gardiner and Ewa Kern-Jedrychowska | February 4, 2014 10:34am | Updated on February 4, 2014 9:20pm

 Kevasia Edwards, 2, was found dead with bruises around her mouth, police said.
Kevasia Edwards, 2, was found dead with bruises around her mouth, police said.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Gustavo Solis

ARVERNE — Police were investigating two separate infant deaths in Queens Tuesday including a 2-year-old girl who died in her home Monday night with broken ribs and bruises around her mouth, police said.

Kevasia Edwards was found lying unconscious in the bathroom of her Beach 56th Place home, near Rockaway Beach Boulevard, about 11:30 p.m. She was rushed to an area hospital where she was pronounced dead, a police spokesman said.

The other child, a 2-year-old boy named Reid Naizer, went into cardiac arrest about 3 p.m. Tuesday on 156th Street in Jamaica, near 107th Avenue, according to the NYPD. He was taken to Jamaica Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Police sources said that there were bruises on the boy's body but the family had no history with the Administration for Children's Services. They also said the child had been born prematurely.

The Medical Examiner's office has not yet determined the cause of death in either case, police said.

Neighbors said that Reid's family, who had lived on the block for about three years, seems "very tight-knit."

"The boy had an enlarged heart and suffered from breathing problems," said Tylise Smith who lives on the same block. "He was in the hospital a lot and the mother always stayed there with him."

"It's a tragedy and it touched my heart," said Nay Hagans, who lives a few doors down. "This family always sticks together."

Kevasia's mother, who was home at the time, ran to a neighbor and asked her to call 911 because her daughter was in cardiac arrest, sources said.

Kevasia's ribs appeared to have been broken some time before Monday, sources said. The girl's mother has been investigated by the Administration for Children's Services multiple times in the past, including once in 2011 and three times in 2012, sources said.

The outcome of the investigations was not immediately available.

Lance Young was visiting his daughter in the building Monday night when Kevasia was found.

"My daughter gave her CPR," Young said. "It was too late, she was gone."

Police were questioning the child's mother on Tuesday and awaiting the medical examiner's autopsy report before determining if neglect or abuse contributed to Kevasia's death.

Kevasia had three brothers, whose identities were withheld. The boys were taken to an area hospital for evaluation, sources said. ACS planned to interview them, sources said.

"The Administration of Children's Services strives to protect and promote the safety and well-being of all children in New York City," spokesman Christopher Mckniff said.

"We are currently working with the New York City Police Department to investigate the sad death of this little girl and determine what occurred in this situation."