BEDFORD-STUYVESANT — Interfaith Medical Center has been granted yet another reprieve after the state agreed to provide more than $25 million to fund the struggling hospital through March 14.
The state dormitory authority agreed Monday to release $7.5 million in funds to Interfaith, which it had previously withheld from the hospital after it said trustees broke a deal to transfer clinic services to Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center.
That money includes $3.5 million in funds promised to the hospital from the state Department of Health, and an additional $4 million in state Vital Access Provider funds, according to court documents.
In addition, the state agreed to another $17.75 million to keep the hospital open through March 14, according to court documents.
A spokeswoman for Interfaith confirmed the decision on Tuesday.
But the deal to help the hospital may be delaying the inevitable. On Monday, Mayor Bill de Blasio and Gov. Andrew Cuomo warned that without government funds some Brooklyn hospitals may have to close as early as February.
"We've been living, unfortunately, hand-to-mouth," de Blasio said on Monday. "We've waited a long time for fairness in New York State, and it's time for action."