MANHATTAN — The maid who accused former International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn of a brutal assault at a Midtown hotel in May has reportedly filed a lawsuit against her alleged attacker as prosecutors are still mulling how to proceed with the criminal case.
The accuser, 32-year-old Nafissatou Diallo, claimed the one-time French presidential hopeful committed a "violent and sadistic" act against her in a room she was sent to clean at the Sofitel on May 14, the Associated Press reported.
Diallo was "intentionally, brutally and violently sexually assaulted," court papers said, according to the Associated Press. The suit claims that Strauss-Kahn "humiliated, degraded, violated and robbed Ms. Diallo of her dignity as a woman."
The lawsuit did not specify an amount requested in damages on behalf of Diallo, a Guinea native who sought asylum in the United States after telling authorities she was gang raped in her home country. It was filed by attorney Kenneth Thompson, in Bronx county, where Diallo resides.
She told prosecutors Strauss-Kahn forced her to perform oral sex and then tried to rape her before she was able to escape his grasp.
Prosecutors have publicly called the maid's credibility into question since then, saying she lied about significant events in her past and changed her story about the attack itself. They have not yet annouced whether they plan to drop or alter the attempted rape charges currently filed against Strauss-Kahn, 62.
Strauss-Kahn is next scheduled to appear in Manhattan Supreme Court for his criminal case on Aug. 23.