Police Shoot Man Who Stabbed Wife More Than 30 Times, NYPD Says

By Aidan Gardiner and Mathew Katz  on August 18, 2014 10:26am  | Updated on October 17, 2014 1:15pm

 Juan Rosario was shot in the torso while stabbing his wife in Kingsbridge Heights, police said.
Juan Rosario was shot in the torso while stabbing his wife in Kingsbridge Heights, police said.
View Full Caption
Shutterstock/Burlingham

THE BRONX — Police shot a man after he had stabbed his wife more than 30 times in their Kingsbridge Heights building Sunday morning, police said.

Juan Rosario, 34, was in the middle of stabbing his 32-year-old wife, whose name was not released, with an 8-inch kitchen knife in the stairwell of 2741 Sedgwick Ave., near West 195th Street, when two police officers arrived just before 4 a.m., according to the NYPD.

The officers told Rosario to stop and, when he didn't, they each shot him once in the torso, police said.

Both the victim and suspect were taken to St. Barnabas Hospital with serious injuries but in stable conditions, police said.

According to a criminal complaint, the melee began at 2:30 a.m. when Rosario grabbed a steak knife from the couple's kitchen, and began to swing it at his wife, saying "I'm going to kill you, I'm going to kill you." He then grabbed the bigger eight-inch knife and began to chase his 11-year-old son around the kitchen, according to the complaint. 

"You are now Christian," he told the boy, according to the complaint. The couple's other two children, aged 7 and 5, were also in the room and began to cry, prosecutors wrote in the complaint.

Rosario's wife managed to escape the couple's apartment, but he followed her and stabbed her in the face and body multiple times, according to the complaint. He then dragged her down the building's stairwell and continued to stab her until police arrived, police sad.

The woman was covered in more than 30 stab wounds when she was admitted to the hospital, according to court records.

Rosario had a history of domestic violence, records show. His wife had taken out an order of protection against him on March 29, 2013, just after he threatened her with two knives and then strangled, beat, and bit her in their home while their children looked on, according to court records. He was released on $2,500 bail following that incident and had been due back in court on Sept. 9 on that case. The order of protection appeared to still be in effect on Sunday. 

Rosario was charged in the latest incident with attempted murder, assault, acting in a manner injurious to a child younger than 17 and criminal possession of a weapon, according to his criminal complaint.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement