Intrepid Museum Electrical Equipment Malfunction Injures 3, Officials Say
MIDTOWN — Faulty electrical equipment injured three people — hospitalizing two — at the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum Tuesday morning, officials said.
The people, whose identities were not immediately released, suffered burns about 11:30 a.m. at the museum, near West 46th Street and 12th Avenue, according to the FDNY and NYPD.
Two workers were repairing a downed power supply at the end of the pier near the aircraft carrier when it burned them and a museum volunteer, according to the an Intrepid spokesman.
The volunteer and one of the workers were taken to New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell hospital with burns his arm, FDNY and museum officials said.
The second worker was being evaluated at the scene.
Police were assisting the FDNY and Con Edison after the incident, according to the NYPD's Chief of Department Phillip Banks.
The Intrepid was closed for the rest of Tuesday.
Con Edison was on scene to help, but said their staff and equipment was not involved in the incident.