Son of Officer Killed in Queensboro Bridge 'Death Trap' Plans $20M Suit

By Jeanmarie Evelly on June 16, 2014 3:00pm 

 A storefront at 25-06 Queens Plaza South was destroyed in the crash that killed NYPD officer Elisa Toro in December.
A storefront at 25-06 Queens Plaza South was destroyed in the crash that killed NYPD officer Elisa Toro in December.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Jeanmarie Evelly

LONG ISLAND CITY — The family of an NYPD officer killed in a car accident on a "death trap" exit ramp of the Queensboro Bridge is planning to file a lawsuit alleging the city knew the roadway was a danger to drivers.

Elisa Toro, 36, of The Bronx, died in December after her car hit a guardrail as she was driving east off the bridge. Her vehicle then struck a cement barrier, flipped over and crashed into a vacant storefront near Crescent Street and Queens Plaza South.

The location was the scene of several wrecks in 2011 and 2012 — including two fatalities —  which lead local elected officials to call for greater safety measures for the off-ramp, previously described as a "death trap."

Toro's son filed a notice of claim last month for a $20 million, alleging the city "was on notice of the deficient nature of the roadway in question and of the need to correct deficiencies with such roadway, as well as the guardrail, signage and lighting in the area."

The city's Law Department said it will review the lawsuit.

In the weeks after Toro's death, the Department of Transportation closed the Queens-bound outer lane of the Queensboro Bridge overnight in an effort to reduce speeding and prevent accidents.

Various safety measures were installed near the Queens Plaza South exit ramp since 2011, the DOT said previously, including three "20 MPH" signs, reflectors, four sets of rumble strips and an electronic sign that displays the speed of passing motorists.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement