COBBLE HILL — Two students at Cobble Hill’s PS 29 were approached by two men, one of whom gestured to the children and began to follow them — but the kids reacted quickly and ran safely to their school last week, according to reports.
According to a message from Rebecca Fagin, the school’s principal, the two unknown men got out of a white van near Sackett and Clinton Streets while the two elementary school students were walking to PS 29 about 8:15 a.m. last Friday.
The principal’s message was posted on neighborhood blog Pardon Me For Asking.
One of the men gestured to the children and began following them but the two kids ran to the school and alerted the authorities.
“Fortunately, these students were not harmed and made it to school safely where we reported the incident to the police immediately,” Fagin said, in the message.
Fagin urged parents to discuss safety guidelines with their children while traveling to and from school, including encouraging children to walk in a group, not to use headphones or cell phones while walking, and yell for help to bystanders if they felt threatened.
“We are a close-knit community and always look out for one another’s children. I encourage you to continue to do so and act with greater vigilance,” Fagin said.
“Please know that we are doing everything possible to keep your children safe.”
The Department of Education did not respond to request for comment.