Carnegie Hall Resumes Performances After Strike Canceled Opening Night
MIDTOWN — Less than 24 hours after striking stagehands forced Carnegie Hall to cancel opening night for the first time in its 122-year history, the storied performance hall announced its schedule would resume Thursday night.
"The concert by the American Symphony Orchestra…will proceed while contract talks continue between Carnegie Hall and its stagehands," a statement from the venue said.
The show is set to begin at 8 p.m.
Carnegie Hall and the stagehands, represented by Local 1 of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, have been negotiating a new contract since Aug. 31, 2012, when the last contract expired.
The hall has offered wage and benefits increases to the workers, the venue said, but the stagehands also want to expand their jurisdiction to Carnegie's newly opened Education Wing. The move "would compromise Carnegie Hall's education mission," Carnegie executive and artistic director Clive Gillinson said in a statement.
After the sides failed to reach an agreement by a midnight deadline Tuesday, union members stopped working Wednesday, forcing Carnegie Hall to cancel a performance by the Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra.
Local 1 of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees did not immediately return a message left at the president's office Thursday.
The Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra had been scheduled to open Carnegie Hall's 2013-14 season. After the cancellation, it played a free show at the Kimmel Center in Philadelphia.