Brooklyn Braces for This Weekend's VMAs at Barclays Center
PROSPECT HEIGHTS — Along with the glitz and glamour of the MTV Video Music Awards at the Barclays Center, locals are bracing for crowds, noise and street closures.
Preparations for the internationally televised awards show are well underway with crews assembling stages, grandstands and lighting on Dean Street behind the arena.
Inside, a 60-foot version of the MTV moonman — the figure that adorns each VMA statuette — has landed on the arena's floor, Newsday reported, and special front row seating is waiting for megastars Justin Timberlake, Kanye West, Miley Cyrus and Robin Thicke.
There's a red carpet rehearsal on Saturday night at 6:30 p.m, and the pre-show is scheduled to take place on Sunday at 8 p.m. with a live outdoor concert on the corner of Dean Street and Sixth Avenue.
This is the first time there will be "concert-loud" music outside of the arena, according to the watchdog blog Atlantic Yards Report. The awards show begins at 9 p.m. inside the arena.
Locals who plan to stay in Brooklyn should carry I.D. in order to walk on certain streets behind the arena.
Here is a full list of activity and street closures beginning Friday morning near the arena.
Friday, Aug. 23
• Sixth Avenue (Atlantic Avenue to Dean Street) will be closed to cars starting 12 p.m. Friday, and will periodically be closed to pedestrians.
Saturday, Aug. 24
• Set construction activity 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
• Sixth Avenue (Atlantic Avenue to Dean Street) will be closed all day, and periodically closed to pedestrians.
• Pacific Street (Sixth Avenue to Carlton Avenue) will be closed from 7 a.m. until 12 a.m. Aug. 26.
• Dean Street (Flatbush Avenue to Carlton Avenue) will be closed from 7 a.m. to Monday Aug. 26 at 12 a.m.
• Red Carpet rehearsals will be held with crew (no celebrities) 6:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.
• The MTA B45 bus will be re-routed around the street closure.
Sunday, Aug. 25
• Sixth Avenue (Atlantic Avenue to Dean Street) will be closed all day, including pedestrians. Residents must show ID.
• Pacific Street (Sixth Avenue to Carlton Avenue) will be closed all day, including pedestrians. Residents must show ID.
• Dean Street (Flatbush Avenue to Carlton Avenue) will be closed all day, including pedestrians. Residents must show ID.
• Pacific Street (Fourth Avenue to Flatbush Avenue) will be closed at 2:00 pm through Monday Aug. 26 at 12 a.m.
• MTA Bus B45 (Dean Street) will be re-routed around street closure.
• MTA Bus B41 & B67 will bypass Barclays Flatbush Avenue stops and B45 will bypass Barclays Atlantic Avenue stops.
• Sidewalk closure of perimeter of Barclays Center (including partial closure of plaza, but subway exit into plaza will remain open) from 2:00 pm until Monday Aug. 26 at 12 a.m.• Traffic will remain open on Flatbush Avenue and Atlantic Avenue.
• Viewer pens may be set up on Pacific Street at Flatbush Avenue; Flatbush Avenue between 5th Avenue & Dean Street; and the plaza in front of Target.
• Barclays Center subway access will remain open.
• Variable Message Signs (VMS) will be installed on local arterial roads and significant intersections
• The Dean Street Park playground will be closed, however the basketball tournament will proceed with access from Bergen Street.