Fire Breaks Out on Roof of Fulton Street Transit Hub
FINANCIAL DISTRICT — A fire broke out on the roof of the five-story Fulton Center transit station on Monday afternoon, fire officials and witnesses said.
The blaze was called in at 1:30 p.m. at 194 Broadway, and trucks were still on the scene an hour later, a spokesman for the FDNY said. A spark from welding going on at the construction site hit insulation, causing the fire, an MTA spokesman said.
The $1.4 billion transit hub, which is expected to connect 10 subway lines as well as the PATH train, is scheduled to open in June 2014.
"It was a small fire, quickly extinguished by FDNY," at 2:52 p.m., said MTA spokesman Kevin Ortiz and the FDNY. "Obviously [there was] no impact to service, as the transit center is not yet open."
Twitter user @jeress uploaded a photo of the scene showing a firefighter on top of the station's roof at 1:45 p.m.
The Fire Marshal would be looking into the cause of the fire, the FDNY spokesman said.