Devilishly Delicious Hangover Slayer Will Put You Back on Track
NEW YORK CITY — When you had a little too much the night before, the thought of food in the morning can be a nightmare, let alone cooking it.
But if you can muster the strength to get to the stove, this dish will help get you on your way.
The idea is pretty simple — rich deviled eggs with the roasted goodness of parsnips, which have the sweetness of carrots and the filling bite of potatoes.
The whole dish is brought together by a smoky and simple chipotle mayo.
There isn't much time involved standing over the stove, so feel free to flop on the couch while the eggs and parsnips cook.
Your head will thank you.
Here's how to make it the morning after:
For the deviled eggs:
Salt and Pepper
1 tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
½ tsp. Cayenne pepper
1 tbs. Dijon mustard
3 tbs. mayonnaise
For the parsnips
2 large parsnips, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
1 tbs. curry powder
1 tsp. coriander
½ tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbs. fresh chopped cilantro
Salt and Pepper
For the chipotle mayo
2 tbs. mayo
1 tsp. sauce from a can of chipotle chilis, or any hot sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Put the cut parsnips in a mixing bowl and add the spices, cilantro, salt and pepper and about a tablespoon of olive oil.
3. Roast about 20 minutes on a baking sheet, turning once until nicely browned and the edges are crisp.
4. While the parsnips are roasting, put the eggs in a pot and fill with cold water to cover.
5. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for a minute. Then turn the heat off and let stand, covered for 12-15 minutes.
6. Drain the eggs and run under cool water.
7. Peel the eggs and halve them, scooping the yolks into a bowl and retaining the whites on a plate.
8. Add the mayo, mustard, cilantro and spices to the yolks and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and taste.
9. Put a spoonful or two of the yolk mixture into each egg white.
10. Plate a couple of the deviled eggs with some of the potatoes and chipotle mayo and serve. Dig in.