Cops Release Description of Suspect in Forest Hills Burglary Spree
QUEENS — Cops released a partial description of a suspect who they say burglarized several Forest Hills homes in recent weeks, stealing jewels among other things.
Capt. Thomas Conforti, who heads the 112th Precinct, covering Forest Hills and Rego Park, described the suspect as a man in his mid 30s, about 6-ft tall and wearing a green hoodie. The man may be part of a team that so far has broken into nine homes, Conforti said.
The latest break-in occurred on March 17, adding to the eight burglaries that began on Feb. 22.
At a community council meeting this week, Conforti said the burglars targeted homes between Metropolitan Avenue and Fleet Street and between 69th and Continental avenues.
They stole mostly jewelry and other items that could not be tracked, leaving behind things like iPads or laptops, Conforti said.
According to cops, the burglars entered from backyards, often kicking in back doors.
Most of the break-ins occured on weekdays between 10 a.m. and noon and between 4:30-6:30 p.m.
Conforti, who along with his staff distributed more than 2,500 fliers in the area warning about the trend, said he believes the burglars will be caught soon.