The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

NYPD Officer Critically Injured After Being Dragged by Teen Driver: Police

By  Trevor Kapp and Ben Fractenberg | June 5, 2017 7:53am | Updated on June 5, 2017 3:13pm

 NYPD Officer Dalsh Veve, a married father of a 2-year-old girl, was critically injured
NYPD Officer Dalsh Veve, a married father of a 2-year-old girl, was critically injured
View Full Caption
Twitter/NYPD 88th Precinct

BROOKLYN — An NYPD officer was clinging to life Monday, more than a day after a 15-year-old boy dragged him for two blocks in a stolen car, police said.

Anti-crime unit Officer Dalsh Veve, 35, a married father of a 2-year-old girl, managed to fire off two shots as he was being dragged by the Honda on East 53rd Street near Tilden Avenue late Saturday, striking the teen driver in the face, the NYPD said.

Veve, a Haitian immigrant who's been with the NYPD for nine years, underwent surgery for his injuries on Sunday, officials said.

“He represents the American dream — an immigrant child came here, joined the greatest police force in the country, and has been an exemplary officer,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said. “Right now, he is fighting to survive.”

The 15-year-old, whose name was not immediately released, took himself to Brookdale Hospital and was listed in serious condition. He had not been charged as of Monday morning because he was still hooked up to an intubator and unable to speak to detectives, NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said.

He could be charged with attempted murder and felony assault Monday afternoon, he added, but it was the DA's decision whether that would be as an adult or as a minor.

Veve and five other plainclothes officers from Brooklyn's 67th Precinct responded to a 911 call of shots fired at Tilden Avenue and East 53rd Street around 11:50 p.m. Saturday, NYPD Commissioner James O’Neill said. They later deemed those to have just been fireworks, authorities said.

Veve was across the street speaking to the 15-year-old and three other passengers sitting inside the vehicle, which was parked in front of a fire hydrant, when the teen hit the gas, the commissioner said.

Investigators were still trying to determine Monday how Veve came to be dragged by the car.

“The vehicle continued to drive on Tilden, taking a right on East 53rd Street, dragging Police Officer Veve for two-and-a half-blocks, before the officer became free and fell on the street,” O’Neill said. “It appears that Police Officers Veve was able to discharge his service weapon twice while being dragged,” he added.

The car crashed shortly after and was abandoned on East 53rd Street between Snyder and Church avenues, police said.

Police later took the three other passengers into custody.

Eboni Clinton, 19, and Jeronda Oliver, 18, were charged with hindering prosecution early Monday and were awaiting arraignment in Brooklyn Criminal Court, according to police and the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office.

Clinton, of East New York, has one prior arrest, which was sealed. Oliver, of Bed-Stuy, has two prior arrests, both of which were sealed, according to police. 

The other passenger, an 18-year-old man, was cooperating with investigators and had not been charged as of Monday afternoon, Boyce said.

De Blasio said he and O'Neill met with Veve's heartbroken wife at the hospital.

"Her strength was clear, and her pain was clear as well," the mayor said. "I also want to commend his fellow officers who rushed him to the hospital in such a manner that was crucial to keeping him alive. But his fight for life continues."