BROOKLYN — A house music festival slated for Bedford-Stuyvesant will be relocated to Coney Island, organizers said.
The first-ever “Brooklyn Get Down Festival,” a four-day event, was planned in partnership with Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation to run from July 28 to July 31.
Instead it will move to Greenwood Beach at the Coney Art Walls for a two-day outdoor dance party, said festival co-founder Domingo Canate.
The relocation comes after a misunderstanding in vision and communication issues with the original venue, according to Canate.
“Restoration is refining booking for content as well as a shared marketing strategy with a commitment to bringing excellence to our community,” said a Center for Arts and Culture representative with Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation, the venue which was planning to host.
The organization believes in the power of partnerships, according to the rep, with a nearly 50-year track record of “long and sustainable successful partnerships” with groups including BAM, Soul Summit and more.
“There was a partnership agreement in place that Restoration was committed to honoring to ensure a great brand experience for both brands and a great experience for our community,” the representative added.
The event at Restoration has been "postponed", according to the Center for Arts and Culture.
Canate said the festival will move to Coney Island from July 29 to July 30, with DJ sets and performances followed by fireworks and a screening of “Hands to the Sky,” a documentary spotlighting DJs, musicians, dancers and fans at house music dance parties.
The Brooklyn Get Down Festival will feature free outdoor dance parties with “soulful house music” and other mixes from DJs as young as 15, according to the organizer.
“People can just be in a harmonious, loving, dancing environment. It’s that stuff that brings joy to the heart — that’s what people need,” Canate previously told DNAinfo New York.
For more information, visit the event’s website here.