PROSPECT PARK — Before taking your dog for a dip, be warned — Prospect Park’s toxic algae is back.
Blue-green algae, or cyanobacteria, is once again present in the park’s lake and waters, according to recent testing by the state.
The algal blooms, found to be harmful to dogs, have made appearances in the Brooklyn park in the past two years, showing up in September 2014 and again last summer.
Testing by the Department of Environmental Conservation last week again confirmed the presence of “high toxins” in the water of Prospect Park Lake, which tend to appear as temperatures warm up, the Prospect Park Alliance said.
Contact with the algae can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, throat irritation or breathing difficulties for pets, according to information from the DEC. If consumed, the toxins can cause liver and nervous system issues.
Currently, the Peninsula at the Prospect Park Lake is the only dog swimming area in the park since the popular Dog Beach is closing to undergo a renovation. However, the Alliance urges pet owners to steer clear of the park’s waters while the algae blooms are present.
For more information about the symptoms of blue-green algae toxicity and what to do if you or your dog contact the algae, visit the DEC’s website.