The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Video Shows Off-Duty NYPD Officer Quickly Shoot Delrawn Small

BROOKLYN — New surveillance video released Friday appears to conflict with the NYPD's story about how an off-duty police officer gunned down Delrawn Small in a July 4th road-rage fight in East New York.

In the video, released by the New York Post, Small can be seen exiting his car on Atlantic Avenue at Bradford Street about midnight and walking over to the car of off-duty officer Wayne Isaacs, who appears to shoot him almost immediately.

Small, 37, who was unarmed at the time, staggers through the street before finally crumpling into a parked SUV, visibly rocking it back and forth, the video shows.

He was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. 

The NYPD initially said Small, who had been driving with his girlfriend and some kids, had pummeled Isaacs through the open window of his car. After the shooting, Isaacs was treated for bruising to his head at Jamaica Medical Center, police said.

Sources say he had a bruise to the right side of his face, and a cut inside his mouth.

In the Post video, Small is shown partially obscured by Isaacs' car.

After the gunfire, Isaacs' car lurches forward before stopping, and the off-duty officer walks over to Small and returns to his car, the video shows.

Small lies in the street, hidden behind parked cars, as other vehicles pass him by.

The car he was in drives out of frame and a short while later a woman runs over to check on him.

DNAinfo New York reported last week that Isaacs told friends that he believed he was going to be carjacked and was unaware he had cut anyone off and was involved in a road rage incident.

The state's Attorney General is investigating the shooting, but Isaacs hadn't been charged with a crime as of Monday morning. The officer has been placed on modified duty and stripped of his gun and badge, police said.

Isaacs was sued in 2014 for police brutality when he beat a man in Bedford-Stuyvesant, knocking him to the ground while other officers called him "n---er." The plaintiff was given $20,000 in a settlement.

Meanwhile, elected officials close to the family have condemned the shooting and said violence will break out if Isaacs isn't charged.

“If you ignore all of our peaceful efforts for justice, violence is inevitable,” State Assemblyman Charles Barron told a group of mourners during a vigil for small.