UNION SQUARE — A fire broke out inside the T.G.I. Friday's on Union Square East Tuesday afternoon, officials said.
The flames erupted at about 12:13 p.m. inside the chain restaurant at 34 Union Square East, at the corner of East 16th Street, an FDNY spokeswoman said.
Smoke poured out of the windows on the floor above.
"It was a facade fire, went up the side of the building. There wasn't much fire on the inside, but it did take significant smoke damage," said FDNY Batallion Chief Patrick Tansey.
The fire was brought under control about 1 p.m., officials said.
MAN ALL HANDS 34 UNION SQUARE EAST, COMMERCIAL FIRE ON 1ST FLR, UNDER CONTROL— FDNYalerts (@FDNYAlerts) May 10, 2016
Fire marshals will investigate what sparked the fire, officials said.
There were no reported injuries.
Traffic was blocked along Union Square East from East 17th Street to Park Avenue.