The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Man Indicted for Attempted Murder of Police Officers in Shootout, DA Says

 Frederick Funes, was arraigned Thursday on a 37-count indictment for a February shootout with police in Brooklyn.
Frederick Funes, was arraigned Thursday on a 37-count indictment for a February shootout with police in Brooklyn.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Janon Fisher, Department of Corrections and NYPD

BEDFORD-STUYVESANT — The man suspected of shooting at police after a chase through Brooklyn was charged with attempted murder, the Brooklyn District Attorney’s office announced Thursday.

Frederick Funes, also known as Jamal, 34, was arraigned on a 37-count indictment including charges of attempted aggravated murder, second-degree attempted murder and aggravated assault upon a police officer, officials said.

During the early morning hours of Feb. 20, officers heard a gunshot near the intersection of Quincy Street and Malcolm X Boulevard, according to police.

Around the same time, Funes was spotted driving recklessly around Malcolm X Boulevard, then driving the wrong way on Quincy Street, prosecutors said.

He then saw two uniformed police officers in a marked police car and pointed a gun at them, District Attorney Ken Thompson said.

An investigation found that Funes continued driving and saw a uniformed MTA worker and also pointed his weapon at him. The worker called officers who were already on the hunt for Funes, according to the DA.

During the chase, Funes allegedly aimed his gun a third time, pointing at four officers inside an unmarked police car, officials said.  He drove the wrong way down Lexington Avenue, then crashed into a marked NYPD car from the 83rd Precinct at Malcolm X Boulevard and Lexington.

Funes engaged in a shootout with police, in which Officer Andrew Yurkiw was shot in his bulletproof vest and Officer William Reddin was hit in the hip.

Funes was also struck multiple times, police said.

“This defendant tried to kill multiple police officers, endangered many other innocent people and will now certainly be held accountable for all of the chaos and gun violence that he caused on the streets of Brooklyn,” Thompson said in a statement.

Attorney information for Funes was not immediately available.

The ex-con, who sources said lived in New Jersey, had a lengthy rap sheet, including 11 arrests in Chicago between 1996 and 2000 and time served for trying to take a gun from an NYPD officer in 2007.

He was ordered held without bail on Thursday and is set to return to court on June 2, according to the DA's Office.