The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Crews Fill Massive Construction Holes Left for Weeks After Gas Fix

By Katie Honan | May 21, 2015 8:29am
 The holes on 80th Street, in front of the Greystone apartments, had been on the street since April.
The holes on 80th Street, in front of the Greystone apartments, had been on the street since April.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Katie Honan

JACKSON HEIGHTS — A day after residents held a rally to protest gaping holes in the street left unfilled and unmonitored for weeks by National Grid crews responding to a gas leak, workers finally returned to fill in the craters.

Workers began filling the four 13-feet by 3-feet-wide holes in front of the Greystone apartments at 35-27 80th St. on Wednesday. They're expected to finish by the end of the week, according to a National Grid spokeswoman.

"We have replaced the gas service lines to three buildings on 80th Street and need to transfer each home in the three buildings to the new service lines to complete the job," said spokeswoman Karen Young, adding that they scheduled construction around parking restrictions on 80th Street.

"We are working with the property managers to notify everyone in the buildings that we will need access to each home."

The holes were a gaping reminder of unfinished work started in April by National Grid after the company found a gas leak, residents said.

The craters filled with water during a recent rainstorm, flooding the building's basement. Children also used them as a playground, climbing in and out, according to the co-op board's vice president.

In addition, the smell of gas persisted long after crews left the scene and residents said they couldn't get a straight answer about the status of the holes until elected officials and the media got involved.

Councilman Danny Dromm,  who held a press conference Tuesday to blast the gas company for leaving unfinished work, said he was happy that residents stayed "vigilant" and that National Grid addressed the issue — although wished it had happened sooner.

"I hope that in the future they will respond to residents' concerns in a more timely manner," he said.