The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Killer Who Escaped From Psych Hospital Arrested Again With Weapons Cache

By Katie Honan | October 8, 2014 8:45am
 Raymond Morillo was found with a safe full of guns, ammunition and fake IDs in Corona. 
Raymond Morillo was found with a safe full of guns, ammunition and fake IDs in Corona. 
View Full Caption

CORONA — A convicted killer who was out on bail following a gun charge in July was arrested again with a cache of weapons, ammunition and fake IDs, according to police.

Raymond Morillo, 34, was picked up after police officers saw him near a van with New Jersey plates parked on 108th Street near Horace Harding Expressway the day on Sept. 28, according to the district attorney's office.

Police saw Morillo — who did 14 years in prison for murder — driving the same van in July, but he denied owning it when he was asked about it on Sept. 28, according to the criminal complaint.

After getting a search warrant, officers returned and found a loaded revolver, a loaded 9mm pistol and more than 20 rounds of ammunition in a safe inside the van, police said.

Officers also found a wallet with New York and Texas drivers licenses with Morillo's name and photo, as well as a Social Security card and identification card with a different name, but a photo that matched Morillo, according to police.

He was arrested for multiple weapons charges and criminal possession of stolen property. He was held without bail.

It's just the latest run in for Morillo, who a police source said was a member of the La Familia gang and a threat to the community.

Morillo was convicted of manslaughter and assault in 1999 and was released from prison in December 2013, but was ordered to serve time in Creedmoor Psychiatric Center after being deemed mentally unstable, according to police.

Days before he was set to be released, he fled the hospital by swapping clothes with a friend who was visiting. He was caught by police in Tennessee on Jan. 29, a day after he fled and was charged with criminal impersonation.

He was released without bail, but on July 20 he was busted with a loaded gun near a rival gang's turf, according to records and a source.

He was arrested and charged with criminal possession of a weapon, among other charges, and was released on $75,000 bail in August, according to the DA's office. 

A call to his lawyer was not immediately returned. He's due back in court on Oct. 16.