The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Man Killed and Another Critically Hurt in Police Shootings, NYPD Says

 Officers opened fire on two men who were threatening them in Flatbush and East Harlem, police say.
Officers opened fire on two men who were threatening them in Flatbush and East Harlem, police say.
View Full Caption

NEW YORK CITY — NYPD officers shot and killed a man in Flatbush after he lunged at them with scissors Sunday, hours after a separate shooting in East Harlem that left a revolver-toting man in critical condition, police said.

In the fatal shooting, two uniformed officers were called to 60 Clarkson Ave., near Bedford Avenue in Flatbush, about 8:30 p.m. after reports of a stabbing.  In the lobby they found a 38-year-old woman with a wound to her shoulder, the NYPD said.

The officers then went to a second-floor apartment where her 39-year-old attacker had locked himself inside, police said.

Once they managed to access the home, the 39-year-old suspect charged them with a pair of scissors, the NYPD said. The officers drew their weapons and shot him in the hand and torso, killing him, police said.

The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene, while the victim was taken to Kings County Hospital where she's listed in stable condition, the NYPD said. Neither of their names were released and the circumstances of the stabbing were not immediately clear.

Earlier the same day, two officers were patrolling the Washington Houses at 215 East 103rd St. when they responded to a 911 call about 2 a.m. "of a large disorderly group" that included a man with a gun, the NYPD said.

The officers tried to interview a man, Michael Schultz, 23, but he took off running, prompting the officers to chase him, police said.

While running, Schultz drew his .22-caliber RG revolver and turned toward police, according to the NYPD. The officers pulled their own weapons and opened fire, hitting him several times, the NYPD said.

He was taken to Cornell hospital with critical injuries, but in stable condition, police said.

He was arrested on charges of attempted assault on a police officer with a deadly weapon, criminal possession of a weapon and menacing a police officer, the NYPD said.

Schultz was released from prison in September 2012 after doing 17 months on a weapon possession charge, prison records show. He had been arrested three other times before that, an NYPD spokesman said.

All the officers involved in the shootings were treated for tinnitus at area hospitals, police said.

The Sunday shootings came on the heels of another police shooting in which officers fatally gunned down a Mount Vernon man, Scott Kato, 45. Kato had aimed a 9 mm Hi-Point automatic handgun at police while stuck in traffic as he tried to make a getaway after robbing an Upper East Side pharmacy for the fifth time, the NYPD said.