The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Drunk Man Steals Limo With Passengers Inside, Police Say

By Danielle Tcholakian | May 16, 2014 6:57am | Updated on May 16, 2014 3:57pm
 A man jumped into this limo while it was idling and took off with passengers inside before crashing it, police said.
A man jumped into this limo while it was idling and took off with passengers inside before crashing it, police said.
View Full Caption

WEST VILLAGE — A group of limo riders was abducted when their driver left the luxury car unattended on a West Village street and someone else jumped in and drove off, police said. 

The white 2006 Lincoln Town Car was idling with the keys in the ignition and four passengers inside at the southeast corner of Seventh Avenue South and West Fourth Street at 3:12 a.m. May 7 when Marwan Elbordiny, 24, jumped in and took the wheel, according to the NYPD.

The limo driver was mowed down as Elbordiny tore off in the stolen car, according to court records, leaving the driver with injuries to his neck, back, right hip and right knee.

Elbordiny blew through a red light and drove around the block twice, racing south down Seventh Avenue South, turning east the wrong way down Grove Street, north on West Fourth Street, and then south again on Seventh Avenue South to retrace his route before crashing into a sanitation truck at West 10th Street, according to police and prosecutors.

A man who was in the passenger side of the sanitation truck was thrown to the street, badly bruising his left knee, according to court documents. The injured sanitation worker saw Elbordiny crawl out of the limo's front passenger side window and try to flee the scene, but passersby grabbed him and restrained him until police arrived, according to court documents.

The four passengers sustained minor injuries, including one who jumped from the speeding limo and sprained his wrist, prosecutors said.

When police arrived, Elbordiny smelled of alcohol and he was flushed, glassy-eyed and unsteady on his feet, the NYPD said. He blew a .181 on a blood alcohol test, more than twice the legal driving limit of .08, police said.

Police said Elbordiny had a small bag of cocaine and another small bag of hashish on him, and that after they transported him to the precinct in a police cruiser, another bag of cocaine was found in the backseat of the police car.

Elbordiny was driving with a suspended license after receiving multiple previous moving violations on at least three separate occasions and not responding to the summonses he was issued, police said.

Elbordiny was arraigned on charges of grand larceny, criminal mischief, unauthorized use of a vehicle, unlawful imprisonment, aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, reckless endangerment, criminal possession of a controlled substance, operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated and aggravated driving while intoxicated, according to court records.

He is awaiting arraignment in New York Supreme Court on June 11. His attorney could not be reached for comment.

Other notable incidents in the 6th Precinct include:

► Three men who were planning an armed robbery of a drug dealer at 15 Jones St. were arrested by officers who spotted them, police said.

The men were suspected of targeting a drug dealer whom one of the men, 20-year-old Aziz Rasheem-Coleman, knew.

A lieutenant with the 6th Precinct spotted Rasheem-Coleman arrive at the building on Jones Street about 12:20 a.m. on May 10 with Devon Davis, 21, and Unique Smith, 35, police said.

Davis sat down on the steps of a building across the street, police said, while Smith and Rasheem-Coleman approached 15 Jones St.

Police said Davis was carrying a loaded 9mm pistol with a high-capacity magazine. 

When police officers approached Smith and Rasheem-Coleman, all three men took off running, but were quickly caught, the NYPD said.

Davis dropped the loaded gun in a pile of trash next to a tree as he ran, police said. One officer retrieved the gun and another arrested Davis.

Smith was carrying a fake gun which he tossed before trying to hide in a nearby apartment building, police said. He was found carrying a ski mask, gloves, marijuana and a folding knife, police said.

Police said Smith and Davis told officers they agreed to commit the armed robbery at the behest of Rasheem-Coleman.

All three men were charged with attempted burglary, attempted robbery, criminal possession of a weapon and conspiracy. Smith was also charged with trespassing because he tried to hide in a building while police were chasing him, police said.

Attorneys for Davis and Rasheem-Coleman could not be reached, and Smith's attorney did not respond to a request for comment.

► A 24-year-old man chased an iPhone thief off the subway and into the path of a police officer, the NYPD said.

The victim was riding a northbound F train about 3:35 a.m. on May 10, when 19-year-old Nahjae White grabbed his iPhone 4S from his hand and ran off the train at West Fourth Street, police said.

The man chased White to the station's exit and told a police officer near the turnstiles that White had stolen his phone. The officer radioed the information to an officer on the corner of Waverly Street and Sixth Avenue, who spotted White and chased him. 

White threw the phone to the ground and tried to hide in a building stairwell, but the officer found him and recovered the phone, police said.

He was charged with grand larceny and criminal possession of stolen property, police said.

White's attorney did not respond to a request for comment.

► A 40-year-old woman who fell asleep on a train woke to find someone had cut her purse and taken off with it, police said.

A police officer spotted Tyshawn McDonald, 32, rifling through the Coach purse later on a different subway car as the train neared Eighth Avenue and West 14th Street on May 11 about 5:45 a.m., police said.

The officer who searched McDonald also found a credit card, an ID and a social security card belonging to a different victim, as well as 20 bent MetroCards, police said.

McDonald was charged with robbery, police said. His lawyer did not respond to a request for comment.